Question about a run size... please give advice!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Cavendish Chickens, Dec 28, 2010.

1. Cavendish Chickens

Cavendish Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Summit County, Ohio
    Okay, so... in the spring we will be setting up a new (hopefully permanent) chicken area. We will be using a 10 ft x 10 ft shed, split in half. I'm planning on at least a dozen chickens on each side. As for the run (the area outside the coop where they can run around and such)... I'm not sure how big each run should be. I plan on two runs, since there will be two different sections of chickens. Silkies on one side, and multiple breeds on the other side. The perches, nest boxes, and feeders/waterers will be inside the "coop". The outside area will be for fun and play, with plastic chairs, rocks, etc. So... picture it in your head please.... 10 ft x 10 ft shed, split in half. On each side (left and right) will be a run for the chickens. Each run will have at least a dozen chickens. How much space should be inside the run. *Notice: The chickens will not "free range" past this enclosure (run) due to too many predators (coyotes, hawks, crows, raccoons, dogs, cats, etc). The sides (down into the ground) and top will all be enclosed by fencing. (Yes... we already have some chickens now. And know how to secure fenced area for the chickens' safety.) I am not very smart when it comes to run size. Right now we have three chickens (1 roo, 2 hens) in a 16 ft x 9 ft enclosure. 8 ft x 4 ft of that is the coop, leaving them... basically... a run area of about 12 ft x 9 ft area. They are very happy, and the girls lay excellent eggs. (Nice, rich, deep yolk color.)

Advice is MUCH appreciated! Thanks everyone!

2. Pequena Bandada

Pequena Bandada Small Flock

Jun 13, 2010
    Most people here at BYC will tell you that 10 sq feet per chicken is the minimum for a run... so you'd want two runs of at least 120 sq feet each. That's 10x12 each. If you can afford more space, it might pay off in happier chickens.

3. Cavendish Chickens

Cavendish Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2010
    Summit County, Ohio
    Thank you cynanthus. Very helpful. [​IMG]

4. startingover

startingover Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Northern Kentucky
    I'd make it as big as I possibly could. Maybe even leave room for expansion if money is tight.

5. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    I would do a min of 10x12 to provide 10 square feet per bird but bigger is always better

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by