1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question about a specific behavior of one of my young hens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by scottishsong, Sep 22, 2015.

1. scottishsong

scottishsong Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2015
    I have a young Rhode Island Red hen just starting to lay eggs. We have 11 other hens of varying ages and 2 roosters in our flock. We also have 6 chicks and 5 Guinea fowl. All get along fine, everyone is happy and healthy. (not sure if all that is important information but included it just in case). This particular hen is the friendliest of the bunch and follows me around, chatters and trills at me constantly. She likes to sit on me when I'm handing out treats as well. Recently she has started doing this thing where she rubs her beak back and forth on me in a side to side motion. I can't seem to find any information on this particular behavior and was wondering if it's just a funny quirk she has developed or if it means something. She looks fine, no changes in her beak appearance or anything else.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    When I feed fermented feed, fruit or something like cottage cheese or spaghetti, the birds will swipe their beaks back and forth on something to wipe them off.

3. scottishsong

scottishsong Out Of The Brooder

Sep 21, 2015
    That makes sense. It really would be that simple!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by