Question about adding a new chick to my 4 day old's...

erinangele

Songster
10 Years
Jul 2, 2011
I have 4 chickens that arrived Wed. from MPC. They are supposed to be pullets, but i am very suspicious about my little RIR. She already has a little comb coming in! Its not very big, but noticeable compared to the other 3. Could this just be how the breed is? I know it's too early to tell, but "she" also acts a little differently. She is always the first to notice me, first to run over when i stick my hand in, and seems to get between me and the other chicks (she is especially protective over my little Delaware). She also has a long neck, but again maybe this is a RIR thing?

So on to my question, i am thinking i should get another RIR chick in case this one is a Roo (as i can't have Roo's here). MPC will ships a minimum of 4, and we can't have 4 more, so that leaves me getting one from the Feed store. My concern is that bringing in another chick from a different place could bring in disease. Unfortunately i did not get my chicks vaccinated against Mareks. Opinions?

Edited to add: I just noticed that my little RIR is starting to get tail feathers now! Wow, i can't believe how fast they get feathers, they are only 4 days old and 2 of them already have substantial wing feathers too!

Last edited:
welcome-byc.gif

I usually do not have a problem introducing new chicks wit in a week to two weeks. It is a personal choice about how and what to introduce them. Just make sure that they have proper temperature for them.

Nate

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom