1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question about adding chicken hens to a flock that free ranges all day.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by shannara200, Mar 14, 2013.

1. shannara200

shannara200 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2012
    Hello everyone, I have a flock that is made up of 5 hens and one rooster, they free range from about 7:30am to dusk (About 12 hours) everyday.

When I got them I kept them in the coop for one week so they would get use to that being the place to roost and lay eggs, I wanted to know if I add a hen or two to the flock do I have to keep the flock locked up again for a week because of the new one?

I'm kind of hesitating on that since for almost 3 months they have been allowed to walk about freely on my property, and being locked up may make them upset.

Any sugestions would be great

Thank you.

2. You can read much about this on this site.

As a refresher, I recommend a quarantine for a few weeks. Integrate slowly as the new chickens may get beat up. You will have two noticeably different flocks for a while.

3. rwdeets23

rwdeets23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2012
    if you dont lock them up at night and they can freely walk in and out it shouldnt be a problem you just dont want your chickens fighting to much with the new ones but all mine always have just followed the original chickens around all day and went to bed with them too. but i could have just got lucky

4. rwdeets23

rwdeets23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2012
    ye i keep my baby chicks in a brooder right in the coop with 1 side all chicken wire so the big chickens see the little ones all the time then put them together when the chicks are all feathered so thats prlly why they get along fine ... the only time ive added already laying hen to the flock are battered hen and they are quarantined for at least a month or 2 ... but ive never had any major problems adding chickens i also have a pretty big coop for them to seperate from each other if they are not getting along

5. shannara200

shannara200 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 16, 2012
    Good info thanks everyone [​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. fenceman48

fenceman48 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2011
    Senoia, Ga
    I keep my new ones in a tractor next to the coop. The old ones get to see the new ones all the time, just cant get to them. After awhile, I begin letting the new ones out & leave the tractor door open. The new ones usually roost in the tractor, then one day they will begin to roost in the coop. I then close the tractor door. I think letting the older ones see the younger ones every day helps them commingle.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by