Question about adding more eggs to incubator

Teresa La

In the Brooder
12 Years
May 24, 2007
Somebody just gave us 18 RIR eggs and I was wondering if I could add them to the incubator if I already have a batch in there going? I am on day 5 of the current batch.
If it is even possible, do I have to move the other eggs to a new incubator for the last few days or can I leave them with the younger eggs?
Thanks so much!

Teresa

Not a good idea to add them unless you have a place to put them when the others are on day 18 or visa versa. The humidity will have to be raised way beyond what is recommended for egg development and will more than likely be, if not fatal, very detremental to the newer eggs. If you can rig up a homemade hatcher, ( do a search for homemade incubators) you can move the older ones to a hatcher for the last 3 days with the humidity cranked up. It just depends what type of incubator you are using, which would be easiest.

We kindof figured that would be the case so my husband kindly offered to make me yet another incubator to move the first batch over for their last few days.
big_smile.png
I think we might try the styrofoam one that i've seen on the internet. It seems easy enough to build.
Crossing my fingers and hoping that all works out. Thanks so much!

Back
Top Bottom