Question about adding new chicks.

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Teresaann24, Dec 6, 2008.

1. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    I have a hen she is a good broody and good mother. She has a 2 week old chick with her now she hatched out 2 weeks ago. I have a order of chicks coming from ideal soon and would like to know if i would be able to add the new chicks in with my hen or would I be asking for problems? I would add them in at night while she was roosting but then id be afraid to wake up to dead chicks. Could i introduce them through the day and watch and see how she acts towards them and wait with them till i feel safe about it??

2. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    Sometimes hens will accept new babies and other times they peck the heck out of them, best to keep an eye on them and see what happens and be ready to remove if necessary, good luck!

3. frankenchick

frankenchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    Benton Twp., Michigan
    I'd put them under her at night, after she's been settled in for a few hours. I think you'll know pretty quickly whether or not she accepts them. My broody pecked ME until I got the last one under her and they stopped hollering. Then she settled right in and began crooning to them.

Good luck!

4. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    Yes but id be really scared to put them under her at night and wake up to those little ones dead. I think i will try watching her with them and stepping in if I need to. I just rather momma hen take care of chicks then I she can do a better job. If that does not work I will try the putting them under her at night but I will be terrified all night.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2008
  5. frankenchick

frankenchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    Benton Twp., Michigan
    I was scared, too! I waited until she was sleeping, because I was hoping she'd just wake up and think, "Oh, gosh, I don't remember all those babies . . . " As it was, even though things were going well, I stood there in the coop in the dark for about 20 mins., listening, until some of the other hens started GROWLING at me (no lie!). I think having me in there at midnight was kind of creeping them out.

I'm not sure what she'd have thought if I'd just plonked them down in the yard during the day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by