Question about adopting a silkie roo...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by FingerLakesChick, Feb 11, 2008.

1. FingerLakesChick

FingerLakesChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    Western New York
    I have 11 large breed hens and I'm thinking of taking a banty silkie roo off my friend's hands. She already has 2 roos. So 3, for her, is way too many!! If I adopt this little fellow, will he cause any changes to the eggs I'm getting other than being fertilized? The eggs wouldn't get smaller would they? Or if chicks were ever hatched, they wouldn't be retarded or anything would they? Also, would his size vs. their's deter his attentions somewhat?

The reason I'm even thinking of adopting a roo is because I think a little protection for my hens would be a good thing where we live. We occasionally get the stray dog that's escaped his home... or a coyote or 2 here and there. We just got a puppy too, and I was thinking that this little guy would deter her from getting to freindly with my chickens. My girls are allowed to free-range when the weather permits.

Thanks!!

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

If your girls are large enough and he is small enough, you might not even have fertilized eggs. Other than that, no problems putting him in with the rest. It won't affect anything with the egg size and the chicks would be a normal mix.

As for predator problems. He would probably protect the hens if he can see... in that he'd be the first one to go. I had a silkie roo watch his flock, and he was the one who got caught by what ever predator it was, and all the hens were safe.

3. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    The roo won't change the size eggs your hens are laying.

I'm not sure you'd be able to hatch any - or what you'd get... I have a bantam roo with my standards, and I have seen a few fertilized eggs go in the pan.

My roo doesn't seem to know he's smaller than my standards - they all get plenty of attention! [​IMG]

4. Josie

Josie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    California
    We have a girl that was the result of a silkie dad and standard mom, and I think she is beautiful! She is smaller than the standards, regular feathering, but soft, and a sweet disposition.

While this cross seldom happens, if your standards are light legged, (wyandottes, RR and such), you can sex all the chicks from this cross on day 1.

5. FingerLakesChick

Mar 14, 2007
    Western New York
    I have 2 black giants, 3 light brahmas and 6 RIRs. My friend that has the extra roo also has 6 silkie hens and 4 RIR's and none of the RIR's look like they're getting any attention from any of her silkie roos. So, even if they are, they don't look beat up. Thanks a bunch for the advice. I think I will adopt him.

6. FingerLakesChick

Mar 14, 2007
    Western New York
    After quarantining, I introduced Henry, the Silkie Roo, to my hens yesterday. And they immediately showed him that they are the boss(es). No major battles have erupted, but he knows he's low man on the pole right now.

How long does it usually take until they're all comfortable with each other? Right now I'm concerned he's not drinking enough water, I've been putting his beak in the waterer several times a day. I know he's too nervous to go to the waterer, but he has been eating away at an apple and some feed. I think he's getting some fluid from the apple and I'll give him some grapes later this afternoon.

It was so funny when I put him in their coop yesterday. At first he wasn't intimidated at all, because he strutted around and crowed a few times; then the ladies kicked his butt, and all he's done since then is stay out of their way and peep a little bit.

He's so small compared to my large breed hens!! He has a real weird comb too. It's purple and looks like a raspberry. Is that normal of Silkies?

I was also wondering if I should put him in his own cage with water and feed inside the coop for a while? Or just give it some more time... Thanks!!

7. Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies

Flufnstuffs~FluffySilkies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    NY
    When ever I put a new bird into a pen I add an extra feed and water dish so they have access on either end of the pen.

8. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    Comb is normal for a silkie. They have 'walnut' combs and are a purplish color, often.

Hopefully he'll get his man-confidence back soon! Nothing sadder than a depressed silkie roo...

9. FingerLakesChick

Mar 14, 2007
    Western New York
    They all seemed less agitated this morning. All lights went off at 6:00 last night, so they HAD to settle down for the whole night; I think that helped. (I had been leaving a red heat lamp on at night).

Little Henry even let me hold him without too much fuss this morning, poor little fellow.

Our neighbor's grandson, said "It looks like his brain is on the outside"!! [​IMG]

I'll put him in his own little cage later today with waterer and feeder, maybe that will help ease his transition.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by