Question about adopting mature hens and combining w/ my existing flock

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by bamablake, Apr 27, 2011.

1. bamablake

bamablake Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Pensacola
    We are wanting to adopt 5, mature, barred rock hens and integrate them into our existing flock of 14 mature hens. I do not have a holding pen big enough to quarantine all five hens. Here is what I am wondering. Could I take one of the barred rocks and one of my existing flock and quarantine the two hens in a cage together for a (is it 4 weeks?) period of time? Then if neither of them gets sick would it be safe to go ahead and accept the other ones and introduce the remaining 4 barred rocks into my existing flock without a quarantine period? The barred rocks have been well taken care of and do not have any history of illnesses but of course my concern is immunities or lack of to different strains of coccidiosis.

If this approach is not advisable, do you have any other suggestions? Thanks so much.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2011
  2. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    I don't get it...where are the other four barred rocks going to be kept during this time?

3. bamablake

bamablake Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2008
    Pensacola
    Sorry for not replying sooner, I'm just getting back to check on this.

I have a friend that needs to re-home 5 mature barred rocks. I would only take one to begin with to quarantine with one of mine and she would keep the other four until we determine if there are any illnesses that would occur with one of hers and one of mine being kept together. If they fare okay, then would it be okay to introduce the other 4 of hers to my flock without a quarantine? Does that make more sense. Is there a better way? Space for quarantine is my issue.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by