Question about adoptive moms

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by midnitesun, Apr 22, 2012.

1. midnitesun

midnitesun Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2009
    Hunt County, Tx
    My hen that had chicks running with her just got killed by my horse. Well, now 3 little chicks are on their own..... Will another hen step in and take over care? The chicks are 3 weeks old.

If this is the wrong place to post this, please let me know.
    Thanks,
    Michelle

2. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    It would be nice, but chances are good they won't and they might get injured without momma to protect them. I'd probably put them in a brooder if you don't see a hen immediately step up to the job. =( Any other broodies?

3. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    At three weeks unlikely. If you have another hen and chicks present they may be, but don't hold your breath. At that age they still need warmth at night at least.

4. midnitesun

Jun 15, 2009
    Hunt County, Tx
    That's what I thought.. But I do have one hen here who is about to have some hatch. I also have another hen, who is gimpy, that seems to follow the hen and these chicks around. I'm just mad my horse did this.. As many time as the chickens have ran under the horse and picked flys for them and she does this.

5. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    Did you have them with the flock and the broody hen? Last summer, my broody hen got killed when the chicks were between 3 and 4 weeks. However, the flock had accepted the chicks at that point. The chicks stayed with the flock. The chicks got an occasional 'mind your manners,' thump, but not a killing attack.

worked for me. You might just wait and see the flock dynamics before you decide.

MrsK

6. midnitesun

Jun 15, 2009
    Hunt County, Tx
    They are with the flock.... My gimpy hen has taken them in, and another hen keeps an eye on them, when she's away. I think all will be well with these 3, just hope one of them s a hen.....[​IMG]

7. Mrs. K

Mrs. K Overrun With Chickens

Nov 12, 2009
    western South Dakota
    whew! glad it worked!

8. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    I've never had a hen successfully take in chicks, they've either killed them or abandoned them. I just use a brooder now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by