question about adult drake mounting 8 wk old. UPDATE on DUCKLING

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by missionarywife, Jul 5, 2010.

1. missionarywife

missionarywife Songster

Apr 17, 2010
    I have 3 adult ducks-2 females and 1 male and then I have 9 ducklings of 2 different ages. The oldest are 8 weeks old. The stupid drake keeps mounting one of the ducklings. Now she is limping and not wanting to walk. She will walk a bit and then sit down. Can some one help me.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  2. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

You have to keep them apart, because those injuries can turn permanent.

3. bock

bock Songster

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    Poor baby! [​IMG] Hope she gets better! [​IMG]

4. missionarywife

missionarywife Songster

Apr 17, 2010
    Quote:What can I do to help her heal?

5. missionarywife

missionarywife Songster

Apr 17, 2010
    My husband wants to butcher the drake. And when can they be together?

6. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Best thing is, first, keep the drake away from her for quite a while. She's still so young.

Rest, good diet, vitamins and electrolytes, TLC, smiles, and the occasional lullaby.

The drake is being a . . . well, an aggressive drake. But when the young ones are older the dynamics may change.

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Seperate them and unless she has been grievously injured, time will heal her. Unless you plan on raising ducklings follow your husband's advice.

8. missionarywife

missionarywife Songster

Apr 17, 2010
    ok, I have Bob the drake in isolation during the day and free ranging at night with his 2 women. The duckling though seems worse. She really is having a hard time walking and sits most of the time. I now have her in a hospital box in the house where I can watch her and give her special food and treats. So, do you think she will recover. I am not sure why she is worse.

9. Tater n Beans

Tater n Beans In the Brooder

Jun 28, 2010
    Extreme South Texas
    It will most likely recover it will take a bit of time. Ive had chickens come through tangles with a neighbor dog. They heal up remarkably fast even from the brink of no return.

10. missionarywife

missionarywife Songster

Apr 17, 2010
    She isn't walking. She sits. If she tries to walk she uses her bill and wings. Is there something I can do or is it a lost cause? I do put her in water everyday. She loves cooked buckwheat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by