Question about age and sex

needlessjunk

Crowing
6 Years
May 19, 2014
Georgetown, TX
I don't know much about chickens since I'm rather new and guessing it's way too early to know sex. I'm suppose to have all pullets but we know how that goes. I know for sure my EE and BA are 2.5 weeks old and I *though* my gold Sexlink was just a few days older since the feed store got a shipment in a couple days earlier. My sex link is by far the largest and has a much bigger comb. Should I be concerned or is it just the breed and being a few days older? Or do y'all think she is older than 3 weeks? In due time I will know for sure but I was just hoping someone with some experience would have some insight.

Last edited:

Ol Grey Mare

One egg shy of a full carton. .....
7 Years
Mar 9, 2014
Oregon
My Coop
My Coop
Nothing to be concerned about. The beauty of sex links is they are sexable at hatch based solely on color - and the difference continues on into maturity. Your little one is very much female (males are white at hatch and mature with mostly white plumage with limited red marking on the wings and tinged hackle/saddle feathering). She looks to be around 3+ weeks to me.

needlessjunk

Crowing
6 Years
May 19, 2014
Georgetown, TX
Nothing to be concerned about. The beauty of sex links is they are sexable at hatch based solely on color - and the difference continues on into maturity. Your little one is very much female (males are white at hatch and mature with mostly white plumage with limited red marking on the wings and tinged hackle/saddle feathering). She looks to be around 3+ weeks to me.
Duh!
he.gif
Totally forgot that's why they are called sex linked, lol. Thank you, for the quick response. I feel so out of my element since I have only had ducks. They are super cute, friendly and so much cleaner!

Last edited:

Top Bottom