question about air sac***updated** pics***

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by showjumper_girl2002, Aug 13, 2011.

1. showjumper_girl2002

showjumper_girl2002 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Florida
    i have some scovy eggs in lockdown right now. they are two days over due. 3 had been moving since day one, now i only see one still moving, i broke down and candled and the air sac is big and warped looking. not sure if that describes it good but basically it looks way different than before (this is in the egg that's still moving). what does this mean? is it normal? does this poor little guy still stand a chance of hatching?

here is what it looks like in the egg that was moving earlier today...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 13, 2011
  2. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I don't understand what you mean by its been moving since day one? Are u sure they are still moving? Are u on day 30?
    Michele

3. showjumper_girl2002

Jun 20, 2011
    Florida
    sorry i meant since day one of lockdown. these are scovy eggs which take 35 days and they're on day 37. there were 3 eggs moving since lockdown but now i only see one. the one with the air sac that looks different now and the egg is definately wobbling.

4. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I hope it works out. Do u have the humidity high enough? Good luck Michele

5. showjumper_girl2002

Jun 20, 2011
    Florida
    Quote:so i've read that this air cell might be like this due to internal pipping. could it be? i didn't see any beak or anything, but then again i really don't know what i'm looking for.

6. KatieBugg

KatieBugg Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2010
    Holts Summit, MO
    Quote:so i've read that this air cell might be like this due to internal pipping. could it be? i didn't see any beak or anything, but then again i really don't know what i'm looking for.

It looks like the duckling is getting ready to hatch, I would just put them back in and give them more time [​IMG]

7. showjumper_girl2002

Jun 20, 2011
    Florida
    oh i really hope you're right! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    I chose to assist my poults in hatching when they were delayed.

I have been hatching for the first time this week--turkeys. So I don't know how the turkeys compare to your birds. I had the %RH very high per Porters Turkeys, like 90%. Some hatched quickly others seemed to be stuck, attached to the membrane. When I hear them for a day, or the wiggling decreased, that is when I decided to open the shell. I'm not saying you should do this, I'm saying what I did. Those that pipped before getting assistance faired the best. I helped 5, 2 passed away, and I learned they needed PT to get the legs strong, steady and able to walk. If the chick didn't walk it didn't get to water enough. I figured that was the problem, maybe I'm wrong, as it would have enough via the yolk to not need chick food yet.

I used the pipped hole or made one, and zipped around using my fingers. I opened the membrane so it could breathe and looked for vessels. If vessels, I put it back for a few hours. When vessels almost disappeared, I continued opening the shell. To help with the legs working better, I held the poult on my palm with 2 fingers extended between it's legs and it paddles like mad. Do 3 sets, about 6 times a day; worked for the next two. THe fifth one, has been out of the shell for 3 hours moving around in the brooder; time for PT to begin.

I have found a couple resources that provide info on how to open a shell and assist. Many think this should not be done; I felt the poult shouldn't perish because of my mistakes the first time incubating. Do what YOU are comfortable with; there is no right or wrong here.

9. showjumper_girl2002

Jun 20, 2011
    Florida
    Quote:I didn't think I could help if they haven't pipped internally? Also what do you mean by PT? Thanks for your info!

10. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    Sorry but the more you move the eggs the more that duckling has to work to get in position to hatch and get out of the egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by