Question about all purpose sand in brooder, chick grit

Apr 8, 2020
Hey all, hoping for some input on chicks and sand litter. If I use some all purpose sand in our chicks' brooder, will I need to provide them with chick grit when I start giving them treats, or will they use the sand as grit?

Also, does anyone know any reason Quikrete All Purpose Sand isn't safe for chicks? Thanks for any input!

I’ve never put chicks on sand, too concerned they would eat a bunch of it. Quikrete is what I have in one of my runs, it is safe.

Eating too much of it is my concern too. I don't know whether they would or not, but it does give me pause. Glad to hear Quikrete at least works for full grown chickens though.

If anyone has experience one way or the other with chicks on sand, I'd love to hear about it!

I tried QK all-purpose sand in my coop (Where the girls are only for the night) for 2 days and they started sneezing and huffing. I removed and replaced it with the leftover pine shavings I have. I’d like to find a good substrate that I can use a kitty litter popper scooper every morning.

I don't see a problem with using sand as litter, but sand is much too fine to use as grit. Even for chicks. Give them grit as well.
grit sizes.png

Back
Top Bottom