1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Question about Ameraucana chick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tmmiller, Jun 16, 2011.

1. tmmiller

tmmiller Out Of The Brooder

Jun 16, 2011
    We have 5 ameraucana's & 1 silkie. The chicks are about 8 weeks old . They have all feathered out except one of the ameraucanas. She is same size as all the others but still has a lot of down & just now putting on wing feathers & has some curly smaller feathers on upper back. Any idea what is going on and is she going to feather out like the others?

2. AZSummer

AZSummer Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    Is it healthy otherwise? Or has it been having other issues?

Boys can feather out slower than girls. Do you have pictures? That would help us figure out what's going on.

3. tmmiller

Jun 16, 2011
    Seems healthy, eating & drinking, no pictures but will try to get one & posted. Again same size as others just weirdest feather pattern I have ever seen.

4. AZSummer

AZSummer Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    "Weird pattern?" I'm guessing you have a roo. I'm no expert though. Check out this thread. It may help you figure out if you have a boy (which can feather slowly) or another issue. Hopefully the experts will weigh in soon and let you know if we're off track here.

BTW, what you have is probably an "Easter Egger" as true Ameraucana's don't have tail feathers. (I learned that here. [​IMG] My EE were sold to me as Ameraucanas too. ) I just wanted to mention it so the thread title didn't throw you.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2011
  5. tmmiller

Jun 16, 2011
    Thanks for the input we are new to this & yes were sold as ameraucanas, but now starting to wonder what we got?????

6. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Quote:Correction, Araucanas are rumpless but Ameraucanas do have tails. But yes, most of the chicks being sold as "Ameraucanas" are actually Easter Eggers. The simplest way to know is if you got your chicks from anyone other than a breeder, you have EEs.

As for the feathering, I'd love to see a picture. I've seen some late-feathering roo photos before but 8 weeks is really, very late to still be mostly downy!

7. tmmiller

Jun 16, 2011
    If not a roo any other suggestions on what it could be?

8. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    Do the wing feathers coming in look normal? My first thought when you said "curly" back feathers and nothing else was that you might have a curly/frazzle but that's much more likely in a breed like Cochin where frizzles are more common.

9. tmmiller

Jun 16, 2011
    I finally was able to get a good picture of the chick that is not feathering out like the others. Hope someone can help with a diagnosis???

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 18, 2011
  10. tmmiller

Jun 16, 2011
    Another photo - some reason it took one twice.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 18, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by