1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question about Ameraucanas

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by seminolewind, Feb 16, 2008.

1. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Meyer hatchery offers Ameraucanas. What color do you think they send. I'm wondering if I can get a "Wheaton" somewhere.

2. HobbyChickener

HobbyChickener Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2007
    central KY
    whats a wheaton?

3. crazychickens

crazychickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2008
    Belleville, Wisconsin
    Are Ameraucanas the same as Easter eggers?

4. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Quote:I refuse to answer that question , it might start a debate

5. countryentertainment

countryentertainment Out Of The Brooder

Feb 24, 2007
    Mass.
    They don't sell real Ameraucanas. If you want the real thing and true Wheaten check out the Breeders list under downloads here

http://www.ameraucana.org/faq.html#ONE

Check it out it has a lot of info on Ameraucanas.

Easter Eggers are a cross of Ameraucanas and what ever else they have on hand.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2008
  6. equine chick

equine chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    pennsylvania
    I got americaunas through meyer. I did get one white one, the rest were you're typical brown colored.

7. Crunchie

Crunchie Brook Valley Farm

Mar 1, 2007
    Maryland
    Quote:I refuse to answer that question , it might start a debate

[​IMG][​IMG] I don't see why it has to start a debate, they are two different breeds but each is pretty cool in their own way! Just depends on what you're looking for. Some people want EEs, some people want pure Ameraucana. No biggie. But you will get EEs, not Ameraucanas, from a hatchery.

I agree, if you want Wheatens check the breeder's page at the Ameraucana club's web site...someone linked it here in this thread. You won't get Wheaten Ameraucanas from a hatchery.

8. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I refuse to answer that question , it might start a debate

I agree with Crunchie..I don't see a debate about that question at all. They are two different things..like apples and oranges. You choose the breed you want based on what you like.

I would say if you're looking for a specific breed color, like wheaton, to go to an ameraucana breeder to ensure you get what you're after. I am sure hatcheries cannot guarantee a color since they sell EEs.

Jody​

9. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Quote:I agree with Crunchie..I don't see a debate about that question at all. They are two different things..like apples and oranges. You choose the breed you want based on what you like.

I would say if you're looking for a specific breed color, like wheaton, to go to an ameraucana breeder to ensure you get what you're after. I am sure hatcheries cannot guarantee a color since they sell EEs.

Jody

I was trying to be funny, you guys need to lighten up!

10. seedcorn

seedcorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    NE. IN
    I second the question. Of all the hatcheries, do any send EE's (now the breeders should be happy), that are of the wheaten color pattern? Or at least the roosters are?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by