Question about antibiotic dosage

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Sunny Side Up, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    I have 55 6-week-old hatchery chicks that have been living outdoors for most of their lives. It's so hot here in South Florida there's no need for heat lamps after the first week or so! They were recently moved to a new pen that has been used by other chickens. The weather here is extremely hot & humid.

Today I noticed that some of them are sneezing & sound a bit congested. Otherwise they seem to be fine, as active as ever, eating & drinking as usual.

I got some vitamin/electrolyte powder to add to their water, to boost their health.

I also got the only kind of powdered antibiotic the feed store had, called TetroxyHCA-280. It contains Oxytetracycline HCI. The package says it can be used for control of CRD in chickens. Do you think this would be helpful for my chicks? If so, how much should I add to a 1-gallon waterer, and how long should I use it?

I also got some Vet Rx. I have closed the door of their house & plan to pick them up one by one tonight and give each a drop of Vet Rx under each wing & on their comb. Does that sound beneficial?

Thank you so much for any help & advice you can give me for my chickies.

2. perolane

perolane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    Louisiana
    I am not familiar with VetRX....the oxytet I mix 1 teaspoon to a quart waterer...mix fresh every day. Can't hurt. Good luck!

3. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Vet Rx looks like this: http://www.amazon.com/Vet-Rx-Bird-2-oz/dp/B0002YFA04
    And
    here's detailed info: http://www.jefferslivestock.com/ssc/assets/label_info/16803.htm

I
    should clarify, I am going to wait until sundown to treat the chicks with this. Since I closed the doors to their houses they will pile up in a corner of the coop to sleep. We can then easily pick them up one by one and give them a drop of Vet Rx under each wing & on their combs before placing them in their houses. This will help alleviate their symptoms while they wait for the antibiotic to take effect.

Anyone else have recommendations for dosage? According to Perolane I should give 4 teaspoons per gallon, this seems like a lot.

4. breezy

breezy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2009
    Sand Coulee MT
    The vet rx you are going to use has 4 essential oils in it that are good for viral illness and also for respiratory illness. If the company is using good quality essential oils and not just some synthetic version then the vet rx may clear it up on its own as those 4 essential oils are very theraputic. 2 are highly anti viral and one of those is also anti fungal. the other 2 are very good for breathing and one of those oils is a powerful mucolytic
    Good Luck with your birds

5. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

6. perolane

perolane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    Louisiana
    Treatment level is 400-800mg which is 1/4 to 1/2 the package to 140-280 gallons of water.
    A mg is 1000th of a gram
    1 tablespoon is 12 grams
    1 teaspoon to a quart is the closest breakdown I can figure & dose I use. If anyone else can get closer, please post.

7. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Terramycin (oxytetracycline) -
    Terramycin is a broad spectrum antibiotic and it is mostly used for treating for secondary infections, and minor health issues. It can be purchased at most farm stores over the counter.
    300 mg per gallon of drinking water for 7 days.
    (Dosage found on line)

If you suspect a respiratory diseases then you might want to try
    Gallimycin it run 6.95 for 25 pills or 12.90 for 50 pills.
    (Note - 1 pill will treat 2 birds because you have to cut the pill in half)

Chris

Last edited: Aug 23, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by