Question about Aussie cross

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by JohnsonHomestead, May 18, 2011.

1. JohnsonHomestead

JohnsonHomestead Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2011
    Out in the sticks
    Hey good peoples, I have been reading way too much info about the sexlink chicks and how to get what when crossing. Having made crosses with some different rabbits, I have seen how well offspring can out perform parents. My wife and I are planning to add some Aussies to our flock, may have a roo or two now in some straight run chicks. My question(s) is, Can I get a sexlink chicks if I cross a black aussie with barred rock hens? Shouldn't the result sexlink or not have the potential to be an outstanding layer and meat bird?

2. draye

draye Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2010
    Arkansas
    I believe that you van get sexlinks from this cross. The pullets should be solid black and the cockerals should be barred, Good luck.

3. JohnsonHomestead

JohnsonHomestead Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2011
    Out in the sticks
    thanks, was thinking way down the road as the chicken walks, I "think" this little guy is a Aussie roo, but has growing to do.
    [​IMG]
    Some in his group have barring,but thinking they are going to turn out as male sexlink, but wife and I are going to order some so we know what we are getting, since we are looking to get incubator and be hatching our own for meat and additional layers, figured if I knew sex earlier all would run bit smoother.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by