Question about "autosomal red"

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by adubsroit, Aug 26, 2010.

1. adubsroit

adubsroit Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    I want to keep this as simple as possible. I have researched other threads and other website message board and seem to be bombarded by genetics information, and as a newbie to all this I just need straight answers. However, I do know autosomal red is a pain in the rear if it's showing up in your flock, as it is seemingly impossible to breed out.

I've been playing with chicken colors on the chicken calculator but was wondering if the buff color carries any red, as I want to work on crossing buffs and blues. Will the autosomal red become a problem in this case? In the case that autosomal red does then show up, will adding a chicken to the flock that carries silver genetics help aid in this problem (I read that silver genes can somehow wash-out the red)? Finally, is it possible to breed out autosomal red in a flock? Right now the flock is on the smaller side, 10 chickens.

Everything I will be using is straight b/b/s and buffs. I can gather that a few of the buff pullets do carry some smut, minimal for now and only in their tails. I am very new to this, so please, let's keep it simple?

Thank you to anyone and everyone who helps. [​IMG][​IMG]

2. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Silver has no affect on autosomal red. It washes out gold, which is the sex-linked "red." Of course it can be bred out, but it takes time and diligence, especially since it is not well domumented or understood. People talk about it as if it is a single gene, but no one even knows that much; could be several genes that work together, or a single gene or...

Why are you crossing blues and buffs? What is your goal?

Buffs who are very even in tone probably don't have autosomal red; ones whose colour is patchy probably do. If a blue has it, it will show.

3. adubsroit

adubsroit Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    I'm going to need to take some pictures of some of the buffs, they have feathers that in comparison to the rest are darker, but not so much red as a burnt orange. I can PM you with details.

Sonoran - I am glad you were the first to reply. I follow your posts about genetics and showing and you seem to have a point of view I can trust. Thank you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by