Question about baby chick temp

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by 2lilchkns, Oct 14, 2013.

1. 2lilchkns

2lilchkns Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2013
    Hi all, I'm a new chick owner, and I am just asking this because I'm curious-- I'm hoping some more experienced folks can shed some light.

I just had 10 day old chicks arrive on Thursday. As a new chick mom, I've been paranoid about the correct temperature for them. I know it's supposed to be 90 degrees in the brooder the first week, right?

Well, I'm using a Brinsea (sp) Eco brooder inside a kiddie pool, in our basement. The Brinsea keeps the correct temperature directly underneath it-- but the REST of the kiddie pool area is quite cool, the same temp as the rest of our basement.

Wel, my question (sorry I'm long-winded): the chicks definitely sleep under the brooder at night. But, otherwise, they don't hang out much under there. They don't avoid it, but they don't spend much time there, either. They flit around the kiddie pool, eat their food, play around, try to get as many shavings as possible into their water dish, etc.. But Unless they are sleeping (which only seems to happen at night) they don't really seem to need 90 degree temperatures much at all.

What's up with my chicks? Are they just extra resilient or what? I'm not complaining, I was just expecting them to need more warmth! Again, our basement is not warm-- I wear my sweatshirt when I go down to hang out with them.

Anyone else have freakishly cold hardy brand new chicks?

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    What you are describing is reality. A broody hen does not heat the universe for her chicks. She provides a warm area for them to go to when they need to warm up. That’s what you are doing. You can see how much time they actually need to spend in that warmer area.

Personally I’d go bonkers trying to keep an entire brooder the “perfect” temperature. I heat one area and let the rest cool off as it will. That way they can find their comfort zone without me having to worry about it. As you can see, that is normally all over the brooder.

3. 2lilchkns

2lilchkns Out Of The Brooder

Oct 7, 2013
    Thanks! That makes sense. In nature, you definitely don't see hens running around with thermometers making sure the chicks are the right temperature, lol.

So far, in general, these chicks are much more active and hardy than I thought. I had people tell me I'd need to check on them every 2 or 3 hours for the first few days (even at night, and i have to tell you, i'm not sure i even did that for my kids...so obviously I didn't do that for the chicks. I really value my sleep.)

So far, these chicks have been hugely low maintenance. (Knock on wood). If I'd known, I definitely would have tried raising chicks sooner [​IMG]. Plus, they are so darn cute....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by