1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

question about baby ducks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jmantoo1, Jul 4, 2007.

1. jmantoo1

jmantoo1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2007
    can the tell the sex of a baby rouen duck by the color ?i have 4 with black bodys and light feathers a little.i have one that is brown like a rouen hen. anyone know about ducks?

2. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    I've never known rouens to be feather sexable. You sure you don't have a genetic throw back there? Some characteristics can be recessive and hidden for years before they pop up in a chick or two.

3. 4H kids and mom

4H kids and mom Cooped Up

Mar 10, 2007
    Southern Wisconsin
    Rouens are similar to wild Mallards, and until they get their adult plumage, they are impossible to visibly tell the sexes. Within the same breed however, it is possible to have some variences between light and dark. For an example, a friend of mine got 5 sexed pullet Buff Orphingtons from the feed store. Four of them were light colored and one was darker. She insisted that this darker one was a male. I told her to wait it out and see when they get their adult feathering. Sure enough, they are all now the same color and all females.

4. hatchcrazzzy

hatchcrazzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2007
    kemp texas
    thanks all for the answer . it really made me feel better i thought i had 4 drakes and only 1 hen .this way maybe 50 50 [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by