Question about 'baby' ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by shelleyd2008, Feb 4, 2009.

1. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I have 2 ducks in the house that are almost 7 weeks old. It is supposed to be in the upper 50's for highs this weekend, and lows in the mid to upper 40's. Beginning of next week is supposed to be in the low 60's for the high, with lows in the mid to upper 40's, until Thursday, when the highs will still be in the 50's, but lows in the high 20's.

Anyway, would it be okay to put them outside now? Would they need a regular heat light, or just like a 100 watt light bulb? They haven't had 'heat' since they were about 3 weeks old, but they have been inside, where it is about 70-75 at least most of the time (brooder/bator room).

I would really hate for them to get sick or something!! I'm thinking that if they are out this weekend when it is nice, by next weekend when it starts to cool off they should be okay? They will be in a 'house', with no water except for drinking. I'll probably still bring them in to take a bath, so they don't get cold from being outside and wet.

So is it okay now, or should I wait a while longer?

2. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    If they are fully feathered they will be fine outside.
    If theya re not quite, if you can let them out during the day and inside a snug shelter at night (We put ours in the garage, just made a fenced area with fencing and laid a tarp on the ground with straw) they will acclimate quickly.

3. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    So they wouldn't need a light of any sort then? That would help to figure out where to put them!

4. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Oh, and another question. Since it is like free-for-all mating time with the adults on the pond, when should I add the babies to the mix? I didn't plan on it till it warms up a lot more, but I am worried that the adults might hurt the young ones? They should probably have a pool of their own before going to the pond right?

5. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    THey shouldn't need a lamp now, but you can just watch and if it gets too cold for them at night you can add one.

I wouldn't put them with the others until they are full grown, maybe another month.

6. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Ok, good thanks! I have 7 more babies about 4 weeks younger, I think I'll wait till those guys are old enough to go to the pond before I put these out there. Thanks terrie!

7. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    oh I am so glad you asked that [​IMG] Mine are 6 1/2 weeks and I cant wait to get them outside!

8. Smartie_Pants

Smartie_Pants Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2008
    Madisonville, KY
    If you do put them outside, don't bring them in to bathe. That would get them warm then stick them right back in the temp outside and chill them. Just fill up a kidde pool for them close to the house. You have to remember, ducks are waterproof. They don't feel the coldness of the water. I've had they swimming in kiddie pools that had big chuncks of ice in it. They don't care.

9. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    My adults are the reason our pond hasn't completely frozen over, so I know the cold doesn't affect them. I just worry about the 'babies' being outside in the cold, with no place to get warm.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by