1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question about banding your chickens for identification...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Kelly G, Aug 8, 2008.

1. Kelly G

Kelly G It's like herding cats!

Hi, guys!

I want to order leg bands to put on my chickens so that I can tell them apart (Barred Rocks). My questions are:

How the heck to you put them on? I cannot find instructions anywhere!

If I want to order a smaller size to put on my chicks, do the plastic ones cut right off so I can replace them with the adult size when they're ready?

I'd appreciate any and all information you all might have..

Here are the ones I'll be ordering:
    http://www.cutlersupply.com/store/item.0311.html

Thanks, everyone!

Last edited: Aug 8, 2008
  2. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    The spiral ones should be easy. I believe they go on like keys on a key ring.

3. Ladysonja

Ladysonja Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2008
    Porter, Texas
    My DH asked this same question...

He wants to know how hard it is to band chicken legs so he knows which ones are ready for the freezer...

I'll check out the website listed above, but would like to know at what age do you put them on.

My girls peck at eveything (11 wks) and I'm wonder if it is too late to put them on without them hurting each other.

4. freshegg

freshegg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    greenfield,ma
    why not get tiny zip ties differant colors? thats what I was thinking of doing but I only have 8 so maybe if you have more it wont work

5. claud

claud Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2007
    PA
    I used to use the spiral ones for woodducks. They are really easy to put on - like a keychain only easier because they are more flexible. If you don't have enough colors for each bird you can use combinations of colors - like blue/yellow etc. My woodducks did occassionally get these things off though.

6. BJ

BJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2007
    The zip ties DO work very well, but I can't find them in different colors!! They cut off very easily and can be adjusted for size. We just marked notches in black permanent marker to help identify, but I wish I could find them in colors....anyone know?

7. MamaSteph

MamaSteph Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2008
    mid-Michigan
    I did a quick google search and found this site: http://www.9thtee.com/zipties.htm You can order 100-packs of 4" long ties for $1.20each - they have over a dozen different colors.

8. freshegg

freshegg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    greenfield,ma
    well I got a bunch for a dollar at the dollar tree store.some short some long but just trim them.

9. CatCobb1983

CatCobb1983 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Gates,TN
    Quote:Hi,
    Tey sell zip tie's at wal-mart if u live near one.There in the automotive center or in hardware,They should have several different colors...

Cat:D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by