Question about barred rock hen!

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by learycow, Nov 11, 2011.

1. learycow

learycow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Southern Maine
    I got 4 barred rocks this spring. I was told they were from a reputable hatchery, but you just never know these days!
    I've had barred rocks before, and they have all had short combs like this one
    [​IMG]

However, 1 of these has a big floppy comb! I am not sure if it is just a genetic flaw or if it means she is a different type. It doesn't really matter to me, I am just curious [​IMG]
    Here's a picture of her
    [​IMG]

At this angle she kind of looks like a rooster, but I assure you it's a hen! I have had chickens for years now, plus I'm getting 1 egg from everyone [​IMG]

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

I've got BR hens with combs that are small and combs that are huge an floppy. It is what it is. Hatchery grade BR. They look pretty to me.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Nice, normal BR girls. Combs on hatchery types vary tremendously.

4. hispoptart

hispoptart Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    NW Colorado
    I have one who's comb is large and stands straight up and one with a large comb that flops over. I love them both. If I had known what great personalities BR's have I would have gotten 4 of them instead of the other 2 RIR. But then again my 2 RIR's are the best layers.

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Wow...she does have a comb on her, doesn't she??? [​IMG] barred rocks!! Such personalities [​IMG]

6. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Quote:Absolutely! [​IMG]

7. jmtcmkb

jmtcmkb Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2011
    New Hampshire
    Quote:I agree, I have 5 chicks all 6 weeks, and my BR by far has the most/best personality!!

8. Waytoomanyroosters

Waytoomanyroosters Out Of The Brooder

Nov 5, 2011
    Sheridan, OR
    So far I find the BR's to be most personable. My Henny Penny was a small one with a small comb and she hatched six eggs from which 5 were roosters and all had larger combs and were much larger than the hens in body size. Enjoy them BR's. They were so much fun. The loved people and being handled. People often commented that they were more like dogs than chickens. lol

9. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    her legs look white to me [​IMG] could be just the angle lol

10. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    I noticed this with some Reds I got a few years ago. Color and size wise they were identical, but one or two had much larger combs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by