Question about black sex-link chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by flmom2boys, Jan 15, 2009.

1. flmom2boys

flmom2boys New Egg

Jul 14, 2008
    SW Florida
    I got my 4 chicks last week. They were only 1 day old and I got them from the feed store. I made sure none of them had dots on their head. A few days ago I noticed a bit of a white spot on top of the biggest "girl". Also its legs are pale/light, not dark like the other three and "she" has more white on her face as well.

Is it possible that "she" is a "he" and the spot didn't appear until it was a few days old? Or do the black sex-link hens have different coloring and perhaps the white isn't a dot at all? I live in town, so no roos for me - that's why I went with black sex-links.

I'm hoping someone here has had a similar experience and can either confirm my suspicions or relieve my concern :)

2. peeboo

peeboo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    fort bragg nc
    I wondered the same thing, i got mine from the feed store as day olds. they would get an obvious spot on their heads, not all, but 2 did. they turned out to be hens anyhow. so i hope you dont have anything to worry about. i know how it feels.

3. newchickenfamily

newchickenfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

It's possible that the feed store could be wrong about the breed of chick. I bought what I thought was (and they told me was!) an Australorp and ended up with a Black Sex Link. My first clue was black feathers (on her wings) laced with brown. She did not have any light coloring on her face. Her belly had light yellow fluff though. Not sure if that helps. [​IMG] I do love my Black Sex Link though! She's a great layer and a beautiful bird.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by