Question about Black Sex Link

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Bullitt, Nov 9, 2013.

1. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    Black Sex-Link chickens are created by crossing a Rhode Island Red, a New Hampshire, or even a production red rooster with a Barred Plymouth Rock hen.

All the chickens mentioned have yellow skin. Many of the Black Sex-Link hens I have seen have grey legs, while the roosters seem to have yellow legs.

http://www.cacklehatchery.com/blacksexlinkpage.html

I know there is a lot of variation with crosses, but how is it that two chickens with yellow skin produce a hen with grey skin?

2. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    The male and female black sex linked chicken are almost genetically the same. The male carries a barring gene and the females do not. It is the barring gene that is making the legs of the male a yellow color. Both male and female carry an extended black gene that adds black pigment to the shanks- the barring gene inhibits the addition of black pigment to the shanks of the male.

Tim

1 person likes this.
  3. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    Thank you for the information. I figured there was a genetic reason, and I knew someone here would know the answer.

It is still amazing that a rooster and a hen from the same parents can look so different.

By the way, what type of rooster is the rooster in your avatar picture?

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  4. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    He is a cornish cross buff orpington hybrid. from an F1 x F1 cross.

Tim

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by