1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Question about Black Swedish. ANYONE?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by BjsBestGirl, May 18, 2010.

1. BjsBestGirl

BjsBestGirl Songster

Apr 14, 2010
    1832 MC 4008
    I have a mama black swedish who has white tips on her wing feathers and 2 of her babies do too. but a couple of her babies dont have the tips. does that mean the black tip are male?

Last edited: May 18, 2010

2. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

That is a good question - bump for you.

Your male duck is a black swedish also?

3. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Songster

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    no white tips are in the breed standard. All swedes black or blue/ male or female should have them. It's a very desireable trait. It's very hard to breed for

4. BjsBestGirl

BjsBestGirl Songster

Apr 14, 2010
    1832 MC 4008
    it's desirable tohave black tips or white tips? i adopted the lot and never got a chance to see daddy that close. i did see him, but had so much trouble catching mama and 13 one week old babies, i didnt notice any white tips on daddy but both [parents are full blood black swedish. Out of all 13 babies, 7 have black tips and 6 have white tips. We only have 5 babies left tho. 2 have white tips and 2 have black.

Last edited: May 20, 2010
  5. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Songster

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    the white primaries is what i breed for heavily.... that and size is what I breed for

6. goosedragon

goosedragon Songster

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:The outer primaries should be White, I don't remember if the number is specified or not. Birds with all black primaries do not meet the Standard although they are still very nice ducks. Sorry about you losses.

7. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Songster

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    some of mine do and others don't...sometimes its really hard to breed for for somereason so judges very rarely look at it unless its like a last resort kind of thing. But my drake and a few of my 10 hens have them.

8. BjsBestGirl

BjsBestGirl Songster

Apr 14, 2010
    1832 MC 4008
    The loss of my ducklings was somewhat my fault. we bought the mama and let her out too soon before she got used to our farm. she decided to take off with the babies into the woods. when she got in the woods, my lab found her and curious about the new ducks, she wanted to talk to them. She doesnt hurt them, she just likes to sniff them like another dog. we broke her of chicken and duck chasing really quick. but mama duck being new, she was curious. she ended up chasing her off further into the woods. we had to get flashlights and go find them. out of 13 babies, we only found 10. we got them put up into a pen and gave em a small water dish and food. they immediately got into their water. in the morning, i found 2 still in the water, one was dead and the other was freezing cold. i took the live one inside for a few hours and dried it off and warmed it up. when it tried fighting me again, i decided it was time to put it back. the next day, the mama wouldnt get up so i rattled the cage. she got up and it was dead underneath her. so i took all her babies away from her and brought them inside with my others. they got along great, but then one more acted crippled for a day or so, than died in its sleep. so what i got left, is it other than mama.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by