Question about blood rings

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Tavia Rose, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Tavia Rose

Tavia Rose Songster

May 24, 2017
    Texas
    Is this a blood ring? Embryo seems rather dark and small. It's day 9. Another egg from the same hen..same batch is moving alot in the video below and seems larger than this one. And the third from this trio seems to have two dark masses, no blood ring, and moves only with rotation of the egg. I don't want to throw them out yet. Esp, this one with the ring because Embryo was still moving when this pic was taken. It just wasn't as large as the video embryo. I've moved them to a separate area inside my incubator just in case.

20170920_172814.jpg
    Blood ring? Egg Video:

Active one at Day 4 and Day 9:

Longer video of movement:
    https://www.instagram.com/p/BZSg0ldgrtn/

2. SeaPolka

SeaPolka Songster

Aug 25, 2017
    It does look like a blood ring to me, did it just happen or has it been like that for a while? Sometimes you can get some thick blood work in the egg but that looks like a ring.

Tavia Rose likes this.
  3. Tavia Rose

Tavia Rose Songster

May 24, 2017
    Texas
    It just happened yesterday . I checked it this morning and it's no longer moving and I can't see veins anymore. It's my first time bc my hens aren't broody and I already lost 1.

4. SeaPolka

SeaPolka Songster

Aug 25, 2017
    Aw I'm sorry. I think it's pretty much a goner though, you could've had a temperature fluctuation in the night but blood rings are most commonly caused by bacteria getting in the egg. Good luck with the rest of your eggs! :)

5. Tavia Rose

Tavia Rose Songster

May 24, 2017
    Texas
    Thank you very much

6. Tavia Rose

Tavia Rose Songster

May 24, 2017
    Texas
    Graphic Images. Sorry for no huge warning. Updated pics after cracking open shells. No movements for 24 hours. One Embryo is very underdeveloped and that was the one with the blood ring. The other one is the one that had 2 dark spots. It is very developed but looks like it had internal bleeding it was only moving with egg rotation. I can't say what made them die. Apparently the smaller one stopped developing and died days ago but the blood ring barely showed up yesterday when I first posted. I know for sure they were both alive around the 15th through 18th incubation days 4 through 7. I'm posting this update for anyone else who may need to know.

20170921_154728.jpg
    20170921_154818.jpg

Attached Files:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: