1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question about Blue and Lavender Orpingtons

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by happymom99, Feb 4, 2012.

1. happymom99

happymom99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    California
    I have been looking online trying to tell the difference between the two. I don't know if I am just not seeing good pictures or if I just don't know what to look for, but I can't tell the difference.

How are the blues and the lavenders different from one another?

Thank you! :)

CJ

2. AquaEyes

AquaEyes Chillin' With My Peeps

Generally, the two different genes act differently. "Self-Blue" or "Lavender" is recessive -- birds need two copies of the gene to show the trait -- and acts to dilute all colors. In effect, the dilution is rather even over the entire feather. "Blue" or "Andalusian Blue" is incompletely dominant -- birds with one copy of the gene show the trait, and are "Blue", while birds with two copies are "Splash" -- and acts mostly to dilute black, though Splash birds will show dilution of other colors. In effect, blue birds show an uneven dilution -- generally, the center of the feather is the lightest, and the edge of the feather is the darkest. Overall, this tends to give a laced effect in varying degrees, though some blues can be rather evenly colored. And blue also tends to be darker than self-blue/lavender, but again, there is variability. I asked a question about combining Blue and Lavender a few days ago and someone responded with a link that showed some of the effects of the genes on individual feathers, though I wish there was more information given. See below. And I'm sure someone with more knowledge will chime in with a more detailed answer.

:)

http://www.edelras.nl/belgians/colour.htm

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by