Question about blue copper marans

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by JamesA, Nov 25, 2008.

1. JamesA

JamesA Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Cedartown Georgia
    What are these a cross with.I see alot of people that hatchout and get blue marans and black coppers.Just trying to figure this out.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2008
  2. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    Could you rephrase your question. I am not sure what you are asking.

Tim

3. JR

JR Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2008
    I think what I am trying to figure out is do blue copper marans come from two blue copper marans parents or do they come from a black copper marans and another color marans?Sorry if I worded this wrong.

4. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Blue copper marans cannot come from two black copper parents. Theoriginaly came from a blue marans and a black copper parent but now they are common enough so you should breed blue copperX blue copper or blue copper X black copper (keeps the blue stronger) My birds are all splash copper rooster X black copper or blue copper hens. The birds fallow the rules of blue andalusian genetics which I do not know all that much about exept for this:

Blue x black= % blue % black
    Blue x blue = % blue % black % splash
    splash x blue = % blue %splash % black
    Black x black = 100% black
    Splash x black = 100% blue

Good Luck I love my blue and black copper and I am sorry I am not able to keep a rooster so I cannot breed them and will just have layers.

Henry

5. JR

JR Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2008
    I have black coppers and did not know if I needed to get a blue copper hen or rooster to try to get some blue copper offspring.Thanks for the help.

6. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    your welcome I wish I still had a blue copper rooster or pullet up for sale but all of mine are taken.

Henry

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by