question about blue orps

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by stephanie1992, Oct 29, 2011.

1. stephanie1992

stephanie1992 Chillin' With My Peeps

if u cross a blue orp with a blue orp will all the babys be blue or is it like other blues where u have to cross a black with a splash to make blue

2. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:yes, they are based on what is called Andalusian "Blue" which does not breed true, if you breed Blue x Blue you will get 50% blue birds, 25% black birds and 25% Splash birds wich is birds with 2 copies of the blue gene...

edit.

you don't have to breed splash to black to get blues, if all you have are blues, just breed them together and you have 50% of getting blues..

Last edited: Oct 29, 2011
  3. stephanie1992

i ordered blue orp eggs and only one made it to lockdown, started to hatch today. looks white in color tho, skins black looking. is it ganna be a blue when it dries or a splash

4. rebel yell

rebel yell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    If it looks white its mostlikely a splash, but I have never seen a Orp. with dark or black skin, they are a white skin bird.

5. stephanie1992

Quote:ill see what it looks like when it drys. its feet are white but its body skin is dark. maybe they sent me the wrong egg

6. rebel yell

rebel yell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    Dark skin sounds like a silkie or a silkie cross, does it have feathers on its legs ?

7. stephanie1992

its feet are pink, no feathers, no extra toes. maybe it will look differnt when it drys. its yolk is still attaced so i have it wrapped in a wet papper towl. ill check it in the morning and c if its changed

8. nicalandia

nicalandia Overrun With Chickens

Jul 16, 2009
    Quote:seems like you got a "Splash" which is a double doze of the blue gene..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by