Question about bobcat control

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by ericandkarla, Sep 24, 2010.

1. ericandkarla

ericandkarla New Egg

Sep 24, 2010
    We're very new to caring for chickens. We have a bobcat prowling our area and he's gotten several of our chickens. I've read recently that pennyroyal is poisonous to cats so I thought planting it around the coop might deter the bobcat. My concern is whether the chickens would eat it and if it's also poisonous to chickens?

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] If you have a large enough live trap, bobcats are relatively easy to trap. They are persistent and will hang around as long as you have chickens. Sorry, but I know nothing about pennyroyal.

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I wouldn't think any type of plant would work as a repellent. Maybe a bobcat wouldn't be thrilled with it but, he would still rather take your chickens.

4. jmc

jmc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    havahart trap model no. 1081. about 75.00

keep us posted

5. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    You might want to check your fish and game laws, depending on where you live it bobcats may be protected with open/closed seasons and a license required to trap or kill one. On which case you may need to contact a state licensed trapper/pest remover.

6. Lollipop

Lollipop Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Everyone who keeps chickens must have a trap and a gun, for predators just like this. Use a piece of one of your dead chickens as bait. If your trap doesn`t have a bait compartment like mine, simply wire the carcuss to the bottom of the trap in the end farthest from the door. DO NOT, for any reason, relocate that predator. It is not only illegal most everywhere, but it is dumping your problems on somebody else. A .22 bullit will solve the problem. Good luck.......Pop

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    bobcat control.................22 rifle

8. Chikndinner

Chikndinner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2010

Last edited: Sep 24, 2010
  9. jmc

jmc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2008
    South Central MA
    Quote:Everyone who keeps chickens must have a trap and a gun, for predators just like this. Use a piece of one of your dead chickens as bait. If your trap doesn`t have a bait compartment like mine, simply wire the carcuss to the bottom of the trap in the end farthest from the door. DO NOT, for any reason, relocate that predator. It is not only illegal most everywhere, but it is dumping your problems on somebody else. A .22 bullit will solve the problem. Good luck.......Pop

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v280/Spansil/IMGP0481.jpg
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v280/Spansil/IMGP0476.jpg

three more cheers for lollipop

10. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Quote:Words to live by. I never even suspected bobcats were a protected species until I spoke to the game warden. In NH they are protected. I can't legally touch them even though they are regular visitors in my area.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by