Question about Bobwhite quail eggs

aapoole

In the Brooder
Jan 12, 2017
South Carolina
Hello all,
I have been incubating and hatching Corturnix and Bobwhite quail for a few years now, however this batch of eggs I have never encountered this issue before. My eggs were supposed to have hatched 2 days ago. I put them in on July 1st and it is now July 25. They chicks are peeping and I can see the eggs cracking open but they have been like this 2 days now and they haven’t even pecked out enough that the shell has even cracked good and I can hear the chicks chirping. I have had my temperature and humidity right the whole time during incubation and it’s been right for the last 3 days of peeping period but why have they not come out yet? Is this something I may have done wrong during the incubation process? Are the eggs just not that good and they are a “bad” batch? I have a few times had one or two that did not make it all the way out before but never every one of them.
Amanda

Hello all,
I have been incubating and hatching Corturnix and Bobwhite quail for a few years now, however this batch of eggs I have never encountered this issue before. My eggs were supposed to have hatched 2 days ago. I put them in on July 1st and it is now July 25. They chicks are peeping and I can see the eggs cracking open but they have been like this 2 days now and they haven’t even pecked out enough that the shell has even cracked good and I can hear the chicks chirping. I have had my temperature and humidity right the whole time during incubation and it’s been right for the last 3 days of peeping period but why have they not come out yet? Is this something I may have done wrong during the incubation process? Are the eggs just not that good and they are a “bad” batch? I have a few times had one or two that did not make it all the way out before but never every one of them.
Amanda
My bobwhites always hatch on day 27. Are yours Northerns or one of the other varieties? Don't worry about them too much yet. They're still early IMO. How long have they been externally pipped?

My bobwhites always hatch on day 27. Are yours Northerns or one of the other varieties? Don't worry about them too much yet. They're still early IMO. How long have they been externally pipped?
Yes mine are Northern Bobwhites. I think I know now what I did. I had them counted out for 23 days to stop turning but they still have 3 days to go right? 26 days lol blond moment

Yes mine are Northern Bobwhites. I think I know now what I did. I had them counted out for 23 days to stop turning but they still have 3 days to go right? 26 days lol blond moment
Lol! Sounds like you figured it out then. Mine are Northerns too. They love to take their good sweet time.

Back
Top Bottom