1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Question about 'borrowing' a Roo

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mong7769, Feb 17, 2012.

1. mong7769

mong7769 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 4, 2012
    North Olmsted, Ohio
    Hi all.

I am thinking out loud and ahead here but . . .

I'm getting chicks in March. At some point in the (hopefully) distant future they will stop laying eggs. At that point I will need new hens. The problem is I am NOT getting a roo. I live next to rental places and the people are somewhat nosy and like to complain. I think it would be neat to let a hen brood some chicks later at some point. My question is, can you just have a roo for a short period of time and get fertilized eggs that a hen will then brood? My life and home is not conducive to an incubator, etc. Plus I think it would be neat to see it happen naturally. Anyone done this before?

Thanks,

Missy

2. Patchesnposies

Patchesnposies Chickens.....are my ONE weakness!

Mar 5, 2008
    Southern New Mexico

Missy, it might just be easier to get fertile eggs from someone. If you have a hen that wants to go broody, find yourself some eggs and put them under her. That way you do not have to mess with fall out of your borrowed rooster annoys the neighbors, etc... And besides getting to experience the process, you can choose the type of chicks she hatches!

Patches

3. Farmergreen

Farmergreen Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2010
    Good Idea. Find you a source for fertile eggs. A hen will go broody sooner or later. Also a healthy Hen will lay for 5-6 years then start slowing down. I replace hens every 3 to 5 years. But i keep 40 hens and sell eggs.

You can also pick up a Hovabator incubator, Works very well in the house (small) holds about 40 eggs. But if you hatch your own you will get about 50/50 Male, Female

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by