Question about Brahma feet

Jan 25, 2020
Manitoba, Canada
I added 4 adult Brahmas to my existing flock last summer. They are shy and we are still getting to know each other.
They are quite different in body, behaviour and movement from the chickens I have had for a couple of years. They waddle more than stride, and dirt/poop sticks to their feet.
I am wondering if it is normal for Brahmas that their feet are “gnarlier” than other chickens’ feet. Obviously they are feathered, but these 4 also have thicker feet and their scales are rougher looking. I have treated them for SLM a few times in the fall, just in case they had it, but the look of the feet didn’t change.
Brahma owners, is there anything you do as regular feet maintenance?
Thanks in advance
1611281512294.jpeg

Brahmas are big girls with big feet.

The only time I'm glad to have sand for soil is when I'm indulging in my love of feather-footed chickens. My Brahmas never have problems with their feet because there isn't any mud to stick to them. Poop, sometimes, but never mud.

You should see the big, dirty footprints that a Brahma rooster leaves on a white hen's back. :eek:

Update
We have found that 3 out of 4 of the Brahmas had dirt stuck in deep wells created between the toes on the underside of the foot. We dug it out, and some of them need soaking first. We used a strong squirt bottle with saline water for that, as in these temps wet feathers are out of the question. A Butler gum dental tool helped getting the dirt out as well.
The most active and also lightest of them didn’t have it. About 3 weeks later we checked again, and the “foot wells” of the heavier birds had some dirt again, but not as bad.
We will be checking them all at least once a month.

Back
Top Bottom