Question About Breeding Chickens

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by FeatheredFriends1, May 24, 2008.

1. FeatheredFriends1

FeatheredFriends1 Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2008
    Hi

I have standard size Leghorn hens right now and have been contemplating getting a bantam sized Leghorn rooster to breed with my larger Leghorn hens.
    My question is would the offspring between the bantam and the standards still be able to be sold as Leghorns and when the babies grew would they lay bantam sized eggs or would they lay larger eggs???

2. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    Yes, they would still be leghorns, but they would be an in-between size. Small standard or large bantam. Same thing with their eggs, the eggs would be in-between the size of the standard and the bantam.

-Kim

3. SundownWaterfowl

SundownWaterfowl Overrun With Chickens

Bantam breeds can not breed with standard breeds

4. jakmallex

jakmallex Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    NC
    I have a hen that is the result of a standard black Australorp mating with a bantam black frizzle. She is a bantam size.

5. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

I have a bunch of chicks that came from bantam hens and I'm pretty sure a standard rooster.

6. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    they can breed but cant be shown and although some may be bantam sized or larger sized the majority will be right in the middle size

7. FeatheredFriends1

FeatheredFriends1 Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2008
    I think I will go ahead and try to get the bantam rooster. I dont mind if the babies are medium sized and I do not plan on showing them. I am mainly concerned with egg production and if I could sell them as Leghorns.

I would get a standard sized Leghorn rooster if I could find one but I have been looking for months and nobody seems to sell grown Leghorn roosters and I dont really want to wait for a baby chick to grow up!

8. leghorn dude

leghorn dude Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2008
    Conroe tx
    well where are you located i might have an extra

9. buckbeak

buckbeak Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2007
    Morgantown, PA
    I have two 8 week old standard Leghorn roosters that will go to the butcher if no one wants them. Where are you? Not that I want to jump in on Leghorn Dude- but if you're in PA...?

10. leghorn dude

leghorn dude Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2008
    Conroe tx
    thats fine i have 2 and dont really want to get rid of either but there is another roo im interested in but dont want to have too many roos mine are just over a year

Last edited: May 25, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by