1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

question about breeding ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by emjay, Oct 24, 2010.

1. emjay

emjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    next spring, I'd like to (hope to) hatch some duck eggs. hopefully courtesy of a female duck.

can someone explain to me the process for duck broodiness etc. I know how chickens work. as far as the chicken won't leave the nest, then you collect eggs and then sneak a batch under.

what is the process for a female duck. Does she stay on the nest when she's gone broody? or does she keep laying eggs until she's satisfied with her clutch size, then set? and if so, how do you know when she's broody?

etc etc.

thanks

2. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    Quote:Some ducks known for their egg laying ability rarely go broody (they don't lay while truly broody) some times these birds will have as many as 30 eggs in a nest and haven't gone broody. Some ducks never build nests they just let the egg drop whereever including the pool. A good broody duck will build a nest, lay all her eggs there and will often sit on the nest (not on the eggs) overnight or while the weather is cool-cold so the eggs don't freeze. About the only advance notice that I have seen that a duck is about to go broody, is that she will start to pluck her own feathers from the brooding patch (breast and underside) and use them to line her own nest. They usually start setting in 23-36 hours after this starts. When they do brood they do not stay on the nest at all times. Usually in the heat of the day they will get off, cover the eggs with litter and care for her personal needs that include Food, water, poop, and often a bath. If the weather is fairly warm she may do all of these in one trip. In cold weather she may make many short trips for food and drink. Poop is usually one trip and the result is huge and stinky she wants to get away from the nest for that as it may draw preditor's attention. Bathing is often optional and if possible she will jump in the water to drink and do a few head splashes to get her feathers wet (they usually manage to do some preening while on the nest. Often this trips are done at a run and she won't let anything delay her. Upon return to the nest she moves the litter, rearranges the eggs and settle in again. Often they will appear to be in a trance like state while brooding. These are general rules, not all ducks follow them at all times. I hope this was of some help.~gd

3. emjay

emjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    thanks for the info.

so, they are like chickens then , in that, you have to collect eggs, then place them under her when she's committed to the mothering deed??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by