question about breeds of chickens

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Kanga77510, Oct 12, 2009.

1. Kanga77510

Kanga77510 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2009
    Santa Fe, TX
    Are there "mutt" breed chickens? I'm wondering if our girls are just basic, heinz 57 chicks.

Later down the road, we'd love to have Australorps. Very pretty birds, and I've read they lay brown eggs. We'd also like to have a few broilers for meat-we're trying to teach the kids where their food comes from.

2. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    Yes there are lots of mutt breeds. A rooster will breed any hen he is capable of.

3. Kanga77510

Kanga77510 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2009
    Santa Fe, TX
    Quote:Sneaky neighbor roosters! My dad says if I have a rooster in the area, the eggs will be lower in cholestrol? True or not?

Can I keep a roo in another coop near my girls, but not in the same pen?

4. HBuehler

HBuehler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2009
    Lebanon TN
    Many chickens are mutt chickens.Anytime you have a variety of hens running with a rooster you will have mutt chickens. Then to complicate things there are Mutt breeds. If you want to keep your breeds pure separate the breeds by fencing or keep the roo alone or with a few friends.But a rooster has nothing to do with cholestrol neither does the egg color only thing that can alter it some is the chickens diet.
    Australorps are very pretty and do lay brown eggs there are many other breeds that lay larger eggs but they are very cold hardy and lay lots of eggs.
    BTW there is no such thing as a "few" chickens..they are addicting and no 12 step program for help [​IMG] So my suggestion to that is a "few" each breed.We eat all of our heavy breed roosters that don't sell unless I need one-they all taste like chicken.With kids it really helps if you have more than you can name if you plan to eat them.
    If you post pictures of yours everyone here will be very helpful in helping you figure out what you have

5. Germaine_11.20

Germaine_11.20 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    Idaho
    No kidding! I thought chicken addiction was a funny myth. It isn't and there is no cure.

6. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    I think most chickens are mutties! Yes Australorps are nice birds, And good that you are teaching your kids about their food good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by