Question about breeds? (wyandottes especially.)

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Morgan7782, May 29, 2010.

1. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    I read that wyandottes go broody often. I really love the look/sound of them, but don't have a rooster or any way to have her raise chicks. Would it be hard for me to get a SLW as a laying hen? Will the broodiness interfere with laying/temperment? Any wyandotte experts chime in.

Also, if anybody has any breed suggestions. I am looking for a GOOD layer of brown eggs, good temperment and can be a surburban backyard chicken. I have one BR and one EE so far. Any opinions chime in.

I live in Sacramento, CA so we have warm summers.

2. cerridwenn

cerridwenn Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2010
    Farmington, NM
    you should try posting this on the wyandotte thread - if you can't find it just do a search for "official wyandotte thread". this is the first year i've ever had wyandottes and they are all still babies so i'm not sure how to answer your question. in general, a broody hen will stop laying eggs during broodiness. you can still collect eggs from under her but she will peck and flutter a lot (she will try to sit on other hens eggs so you have to check). what to do about it is a different matter - some people order fertile eggs so their hen can hatch them, other people just let it go and don't worry about it if there are enough still laying to make up for it. i have heard that if you make her cold, like slipping some ice cubes into the nest or creating a draft under the nest box, that you can break the broodiness but i don't know if it works or if it would be considered "mean" to do. if you wait it out, she will stop laying for about 4-6 weeks and then just go back to normal until the next time.

as for finding a good alternative breed, try the breed calculator on this site - it's pretty cool and you can tell it you want brown eggs and friendly temperament and it should give you a list of possibles.

3. BlackBart

BlackBart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    My Wyandottes never go Broody and I have four different types.
    My Buff Orps, Welsumer, Dorking, EE and one RIR hen are Broody on and off. Not all of them but those breeds are the ones that go Broody here.

4. chickenman98

chickenman98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Eastern Oklahoma
    get white rocks. ours are friendly and they matured early and they lay every day.

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Granted, my SLW has only been laying since early March, but she lays her eggs, announces them heartily, and gets up and leaves 'em. On the other hand, my Black Australorp and Buff Orpington sit for quite a while and the BO is starting to object when I reach under her to gather eggs. It's just an open-beaked complaint, no pecking. Nor does she stay on the nest after I take away the eggs. So neither of them are broody really,........ yet - I just see the glimmers of possibilities with them.

6. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    Hm. Once I get a larger coop, I think I would like to get one SLW and one GLW. If one or both end up being broody I will get some chicks from the pullet bin at the feed store and let her mother away (If she accepts them of course). I am too new I think to dip into hatching eggs yet. Thanks for the info all! Once I get a bigger coop I can use the smaller coop for the new girls until everybody is aquainted and similar size. My current two girls are 9 weeks old this Wednesday. Hopefully I can get a coop together soon I would like to get new chicks as soon as I can before my girls are grown. Sorry, I am just thinking out loud in this post [​IMG] thanks all for information!

7. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I have had six or seven Wyandotte hens. None have ever gone broody, but they were hatchery stock. Breeder stock sometimes will be a better bet for brooding.

8. Morgan7782

Morgan7782 Dense Egg Goo

Mar 22, 2010
    Sacramento CA
    If I can help it I would rather less broody then more. But if it happens I will deal either with feed store chicks or fake eggs. I know this breed tends to be broody as a group, but I love the look and appeal they seem to have [​IMG]

9. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Brahmas are a wonderful choice that meets your criteria.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by