Question about Bresse crosses

Jan 19, 2021
So I have a question for the Bresse experts. I would like to entertain the idea of breeding Bresse in the future. Now, I would only breed true and pure Breese and only to improve the breed. So I wouldn't actually cross them with any other breed. But, curiosity got me thinking. Let's say you was to cross the Bresse with another good meat breed. Would the hybrid offspring have the marbling and flavor of the Bresse? I know it probably wouldn't be to the degree of a pure Breese, but would any of the marbling and flavor carry over to the hybrid offspring or would the crossing of the Bresse to a different breed destroy the marbling and flavor entirely.

So I have a question for the Bresse experts. I would like to entertain the idea of breeding Bresse in the future. Now, I would only breed true and pure Breese and only to improve the breed. So I wouldn't actually cross them with any other breed. But, curiosity got me thinking. Let's say you was to cross the Bresse with another good meat breed. Would the hybrid offspring have the marbling and flavor of the Bresse? I know it probably wouldn't be to the degree of a pure Breese, but would any of the marbling and flavor carry over to the hybrid offspring or would the crossing of the Bresse to a different breed destroy the marbling and flavor entirely.

The Marbling and flavor is due to the diet and feeding regimen. Any slow growth breed fed the same and for the same time will also develop the marbling deposit.

Good idea. Do you know what exactly the correct diet is

Corn along with wheat and milk. Corn must be at least 70% or more off their diet, while wheat can only represent 20%. Milk, which can be in powdered form, makes up 6-10% of their food.

Basically a High Energy corn soaked in milk for 3 to 4 weeks prior to slaughter so the meat can put on intramuscular fat

Corn along with wheat and milk. Corn must be at least 70% or more off their diet, while wheat can only represent 20%. Milk, which can be in powdered form, makes up 6-10% of their food.

Basically a High Energy corn soaked in milk for 3 to 4 weeks prior to slaughter so the meat can put on intramuscular fat
Is this their main diet from start to finish or is this more of a finishing ration? And will cracked corn work for the carn ration?

Thank you for your help
Try it and let us know what you think.

Get some Bresse, get some Dual Purpose breed chicks, raise them on the same diet and finish them with that high calorie diet The French use to put on marbling on the meat. Kill two, have someone cook them for you in the correct manner and try them without knowing which one is which and see if you could tell the difference.

Back
Top Bottom