Question about Brinsea temps on new econo 20

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by oldguy, May 4, 2009.

1. oldguy

oldguy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    I just purchased the new Brinsea econo 20 and am dry run testing it.

I understand they come pre-set but have an adjustment if needed.

The econo model comes with an old style mercury thermometer located in the very top of the cabinet and it reads 102.

I place my GQF digital thermometer inside for comparison and the temps are very staedy only varing 2 hundreds of a degree.

When i place the GQF in the top alongside the Brinsea, it reads 101.46 and if i place in in the egg bed (without eggs) it reads 98.85

Should i lower temp til top position reads 99.5?

Thanks,
    Oldguy

2. bigjohn

bigjohn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2008
    Georgia
    Personally, I would go with the Brinsea thermometer and not worry what the GQF reads. I just hatched some quail and I set the temp at 99.5. The chicks all hatched on time and within several hours of each other. I used a digital Brinsea thermometer initially to verify and my readings were exactly like the ECO's glass thermometer.

I also have GQF thermometer and actually adjusted it so that it was consistent with the Brinsea.

I guess I would trust the ECO thermometer. With the fan, it should keep temps fairly even all over. [​IMG]

3. pascopol

pascopol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Tampa Bay
    Quote:Brinsea ECO original therm is an analog alcohol therm not mercury, at least mine is.
    Make sure your 2 thermometers read the same in same spot first.
    If they do then measure the temp in various spots.

I measured the temp without eggs in my Brinsea ECO with 4 thermometers set in each corner , up and the middle at the same time. 2 digital ones from Walmart with the probes, original Brinsea came with, and a laboratory mercury analog therm.

They all read same within .2 difference in digitals, but they always do that (digitals).

Last edited: May 4, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by