question about brooder temps

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SassyKat6181, Sep 22, 2010.

1. SassyKat6181

SassyKat6181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Western Mass
    The chicks are 1 week old today, and I raised the light so it's 90 degrees. They are all sprawled out around the edges. We had an unusual day of 85 degrees here in Mass and I brought them outside for about 1 1/2 hrs, they loved it! They really seem too hot, should I keep it as recommended or raise the light a little more? They are Barred Rock & Black Sexlink. Thanks

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I generally keep the brooder about 5 degrees cooler than the recommended temps. Watch the chicks. If they spread out like that, yes, it's too hot. If they cluster under the light, it's too cool.

ETA, it helps if the light is at one end rather than in the center.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  3. Lbrad7

Lbrad7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2010
    Ringgold, GA
    Quote:Agreed; they will also feather up quicker if kept a little cooler.

4. SassyKat6181

Aug 30, 2010
    Western Mass
    The light is at one end, but they are at the far other end. It's probably only 70-75 over there. I can't believe how quickly they are growing. After one week, their little tail feathers are coming in and their wing feathers are so long.

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I kept my brooder 5 to 10 degrees cooler than recommended. If I didn't, they went as far from the heat as they could.

I really think sometimes we cook chicks with those temps. It's OK if you have a hundred or several hundred chicks; then the area is large enough that if there's some that are weak or small, they can get the heat they want, and the others can get the cooler temp they want.

If they are too warm they will be lethargic, too sleepy, not active. If they are cold they will pile on top of one another for warmth. Let them tell you what temp they want. I got so I didn't even read the thermometer, just raised they light when they acted like they wanted it cooler.

6. SassyKat6181

Aug 30, 2010
    Western Mass
    I have been adjusting the light, and occasionally checking the thermometer. I just wanted to make sure that it wouldn't harm them if they were a little bit cooler. They seem a lot happier, peeping and running around. Thanks for the reassurance. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by