Question about "broodiness"

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Goat_Walker, Dec 11, 2008.

1. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Ok, I have a 12 m/o buff duck, an she is sitting on 15+ eggs.
    Now, does the 28 days thing start when the egg is laid, or when she is done laying all she wants and starts sitting on them?

Becuase im not sure when they are due exactly to hatch and with this weather id like to know, lol

Last edited: Dec 11, 2008
  2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    just like with chickens eggs, they start the day the duck starts setting on them. So they'll be due about 28 days after. If it's cold where you are, they may take longer, and if it's exceptionally dry, they could be sooner.

3. Goat_Walker

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    its cold and damp. But she is in a kennel that is on a platform about 6 in off the ground. She has dry hay and its warm in there, sort of.

(sorry we are having a big argument at home about this)

But, is it like she lays the first egg, then it has 28 days, then the second egg has 28 days so they hatch a day after each other, or does she set once she has laid all the eggs and then they all hatch the same day?

4. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator~~~ BYC Store Support Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    When she is down and settled on the nest like glue, then you start counting for all the eggs.

5. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    No, she lays however many she is going to lay, then she sets on them. That way they will all hatch more or less at the same time. If you have others, though, they might lay eggs with her. I'm not sure if ducks do that or not, you may want to mark them just to be safe.

6. shelleyd2008

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Oh, and I wouldn't worry about her getting too cold. As long as she is out of the wind, she should be fine. I had a broody hen that just hatched 8 of 8 eggs about a week ago, and it's been mostly 40's and 50's then. And they hatched a day early. So she'll be fine where she's at.

7. Goat_Walker

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Ok! great. then Looks like im going to have Christmas ducklings!

She has been setting for about 2 weeks.

Ok, now, what is the probability that all 14+ eggs will hatch?
    She has laid 2 different clutches before but out of 35+ eggs only one has hatched. But she has never set on her eggs like this. seems she is determined that these will hatch.

Should I be concerned with her smothering them or pushing them out of her nest since she has so many eggs?

8. Goat_Walker

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Ive only got the one little girl so i dont have to worry about anyone sharing a nest.
    Its been in the high 20's low 30's here, but she is good any out of all wind and water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by