Question about broodiness

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by rainbowlake mama hen, Apr 20, 2012.

1. rainbowlake mama hen

rainbowlake mama hen Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2010
    I have a BO who is the only one of my 5 hens to ever go broody (she went broody once last spring) who a few days ago showed positive signs to being broody (she sat on the nest for about a half day, puffed up, growled and cooed when I came near) So I started leaving the eggs (they were all laying in the same nest) She quit sitting on them and now there are 12 eggs in the nest. I'm not going to leave anymore there but am wondering how long I can leave them there to try to encourage her to sit ( I REALLY want chicks!) It seems like it was a false broody but I don't want to act to hastily and take the eggs if she could still go broody. Should I leave them there (and collect any additional eggs since it's getting crowded) or do I chalk this up to a loss and wait for her to truly go broody? Thanks!

Leisa

2. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    She probably won't go broody again right now; however, if you're not needing the eggs, I would mark them and leave them inside the nest for another week to see if she decides to give it another try. Then you can remove those old eggs (when she's off the nest) and put some fresh warm eggs in their place.
    [​IMG]

3. rainbowlake mama hen

rainbowlake mama hen Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2010
    Thanks. I'm curious if I was to put her in her own space with the nest and confine her, would it be more likely to help her go broody?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by