Question about broodiness

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Puffinluffin, Jan 28, 2014.

1. Puffinluffin

Puffinluffin Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2014
    My hen is b**** pardon my language. We've had our chickens for three days now I'm very new at this, but from what I gather she's just simply unfriendly.. I don't believe she's broody, she's not trying to nest, she's eating/drinking fine and any other sign of her being broody is absent. I've come to the conclusion she's an unfriendly chicken...

The rooster. Sweet as pie, is not defensive of her or anything.

If I go near her... She does whatever she can to get under, over near, inside of her man for protection. He trusts me, he's been more curious coming closer, takes food from me.

She pecks me, bites me, yells at me.. Not a screech but a back off woman type noise.

Dear lord what do I do... I have to clean the coop/refill the food and give them water. Everytimw I do she **** near has a heart attack whether I'm right there or 10ft away.

I'm not sure what advice I'm seeking more or less asking maybe if she does sound like she's going to be or is broody and how do I stop her!!!

Oh and by the way... She has not laid an egg.. Is that stress of new environment?

Last edited: Jan 28, 2014
  2. She may just need to adjust. She also may just need to get to know you. Give her a little more time.

3. Puffinluffin

Jan 27, 2014

I don't want to do anything wrong, or upset her so I am just letting her have space. It's just odd to me.. I generally thought shed be way friendlier than the rooster.

Thanks. I know I've asked similar questions before Haha and they are new with us :)

4. Puffinluffin

Jan 27, 2014
    does it help or hinder in the getting used to process if I hold her, or let her out more..

They are house chickens. Do I need to let them explore surroundings or? I had a lovely lady say let them come to you. The rooster has a bit, I take them out for about 10 mins a day let them wander get used to noises and the people in my home. Is that good, bad, not enough..?

5. mamahen1980

mamahen1980 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have house chicken too, she has her boyfriend come visit everyday before she went broody. I thought I was alone on keeping chicken in the house. It started because the attack and injury that occurred in the pen with the flock. I tried to slowly reintroduce back in after she healed a few times but she is afraid and they attack. I do take her out when weather is nice to let her play in dirt and do chicken stuff, but she has free range in house when I'm home. She seems extremely happy with it.

6. Puffinluffin

Jan 27, 2014
    sugar which is the name of our female Silkie... Does not leave the coop... They are very uncertain and she will not come out voluntarily. I hardly touch her because she tries to destroy me hah.. So I spend more time with the roo. He's so friendly and sweet... It's very odd. Backwards.. I'm really working on it with her as these are my daughters chickens and she wants nothing more than these things to follow her around.

They are to to start 'CHICKEN TRAINING'lol.

Is your chicken diapered?

7. mamahen1980

Her name is Blondie she doesn't wear diaper, for the most part she using the dog crate with pine shavings but if she does use floor its vinyl and Clorox wipes are great. She has an area rug she loves to scratch on, but mostly you will find her in someones lap. But as for your group, it will take sometime for them to get used to New area, if I remember right mine stayed in coop for at least a week but I would go sit with them and they would eventually start climbing in my lap for treats. Now they follow me everywhere. I'm sure they will warm up to you soon, just carry any yummy treat.

8. mamahen1980

Don't chase sugar just be around and watch, give attention to the ones that will allow you to touch and she will get nosey enough to make her way to you. I have some hens that will only let me touch them when I'm sitting and they come to me others have no problems being picked up.I think any sudden movement freaks some out. I dont have silkies so I'm not sure if they are more skittish than other breeds.

9. Puffinluffin

Jan 27, 2014

That's what I do. I sit in front of the coop and just talk to them, or song or something so they can at least recognize my smell and voice. They're friendly, granted. They're scared and unsure and I understand that 100%! I've let then have lots of space never force myself on them. My dog and cat are pretty good giving them space too though.

This morning for the first time they decided to come out of the coop all on their own and explore the kitchen and 'forage' for the breadcrumbs I was leaving around. They seem very content this morning.

I put some bread at my feet and George,came right over and picked them up. Which peaked sugars interest so she was right behind him. As soon as I slightly moved she bolted Haha. He's sometimes looks at her like... 'really lady'.

She's cute I like her personality even though I feel like it's going to be a challenge to get her to o be more assured and friendly. Hah

10. Puffinluffin

Jan 27, 2014

I will probably try to diaper sugar and George. My plan is too have them roam free in the house a d the coop be they're 'bed'. Right now they have a 'litter' side of the coop and seem to frequently poop there instead of everywhere.
    When they come out they don't poop to badly on the floor.. Maybe twice in an hour. They make up for it when they go back into the coop Haha.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by