Question about brooding hens

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by zmcdad, Mar 31, 2009.

1. zmcdad

zmcdad Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2008
    Corner, AL
    Hey All,

I've got 4 OEG hens that have been incubating for 3+ weeks now. There are only 3 nest boxes so the girls are taking turns setting on 3 clutches of eggs. Anyways, last Thursday, 2 chicks made their appearance in the world. One of them died Friday, but the other is doing well, driving his momma crazy by hopping amongst the next boxes. I've put starter grower, water, and some grit just outside his nest so he can feed at will.

My question is this: Will the momma hen(s) sit until all the eggs hatch and then take care of the feeding responsibility? This is my first flock (these hens are almost a year old) and I'm not sure what to expect. I've got 19 (5 week old) RIR and Ameracauna "noobs" in the brooder which I'll introduce to the rest of them in April. But I don't know what to expect from those OEG hens.

Any comments, suggestions, or laughs in my direction are welcome!

Ben

2. chickie momma di

chickie momma di Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2008
    Southeastern, MA
    Hi Ben
    Our Gracie just hatched an eggie 3 weeks ago. She didn't give Hopie (the chick) her full attention until we took away what turned out to be 2 unfertilized eggs. Then she became super momma. When Hopie 1st hatched she fell out out of the nest and would have died if Mr Chubbs didn't crow without stopping until we went out to the coop. then we saw hopie on the floor and momma not willing to give up on her eggies. We then moved gracie and hopie to a lg kitty crate we placed on the floor and waited about 5 days after due date to get rid of the eggs that didn't hatch. Before we took the eggs away we kept food and water close to her and she would make the come eat sound for her babie to come and get it. It was funny cause she seemed to mix the chick food w/the water to make it soft for hopie. Just amazing.
    How much longer do the eggs left with your hen need to go?
    Well best of luck with your new additions. Hope this helped. [​IMG]

3. zmcdad

zmcdad Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2008
    Corner, AL
    Thanks Chickie Momma!

I would expect that any eggs that are going to hatch will do so within the next week at most. I candled most of them a couple of weeks ago and most were at least a week into development. Now whether they survive to hatch or not remains to be seen, but if there is nothing else by the end of this week, I may just move it into the brooder and raise my "singleton".

thanks again,

Ben

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by