Question about Broody and baby chicks in the cold

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Tmaxson01, Nov 25, 2012.

1. Tmaxson01

Tmaxson01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2012
    I hve a broody sittig on some eggs that should start hatching next weekend. My questions is will the hen and her chicks need heat or will she be able to keep them warm enough? Temps have been unusually cold her in NC and the lows have been in the 20s and 30s overnight.

2. Wyandotte96

Wyandotte96 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2012
    Ohio
    I would put a heat lamp just in case but they should be fine as long as they have a shelter to get a way from the wind and it would be a little warmer in shelter.

3. hhiner

hhiner Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2012
    North Carolina
    I am in NC as well and we just finished our coop today and put our chicks outside. We have 7 that range in age from 9 weeks to 4 weeks and put two heat lamps inside the henhouse, just in case. It seems that the two lamps in the 4x8 space raise the temp by about 10 degrees.

Good luck

4. flockman

flockman Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    I have had hens hatch chicks in the winter and the chicks were fine. I did keep a heat lamp on them just in case. My hens were great moms.

5. lclough1998

lclough1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

If you are in an area that has alot of electricity outages where you live, I would not have a heat lamp on., When the little ones are young, they will fit under mom nicely and as they get bigger and feather out, they will all keep each other warm, as long as they are sheltered well. mother nature will feather them in as needed. jmho

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I agree with just leaving them alone. Those chicks will feather out fast and be the toughest birds you've ever raised!

7. The Chickeneer

The Chickeneer ~A Morning's Crow~

Leave them alone, theyl be ok. The broody will be warm enough for them, plus with all the little chicks, their body heat will traped under the hen so cold wont get in. As long as they are sleeping in the coop, your good [​IMG]

8. Tmaxson01

Tmaxson01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2012
    I told my husband that the hen should be able to keep them warm enough. She is sitting on 11 eggs so we'll see how many hatch. It shouldn't be long now, they are due to start hatching this coming weekend. Right now they are in the big coop in a nesting box but after they hatch I plan on moving them to a little broody house and separate pen area. Thanks everyone.

9. flockman

flockman Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    Mine were really tough, that hatched in the winter. I kept the light over the food and water area. That way they could eat and drink and not freeze. Our broody hen kept them away from the light when they were not eating and they would huddle under her. She was a good mom! Hope yours is the same! [​IMG]

10. lclough1998

lclough1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Have you candled her eggs? You do it with a strong flashlight, and a careful hand. Then if there are any that were'nt fertile or no longer developing, you could take those out so she has less to cover. But if you arent sure, don't take them out. I never waste a good broody! We had 4 lemon cuckoo orps hatch under Careless, our black silkie hen on Thanksgiving day, my daughters 12th birthday! Such fun! Nice that hubby is concerned.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by