Question about broody eggs finished in incubator

kllyjansen

Songster
8 Years
Sep 16, 2011
For the first time in 4 years of chicken keeping, I've had a broody hatch her own clutch. She did abandon her nesting box on a higher level and move down to ground level with her chicks pretty quickly after the first few hatched. She abandoned several eggs, including at least 3 that were pipped. I tossed the rest of the eggs in the incubator and so far one has hatched. Can I sneak the incubator chicks in with the hen and her brood once the chicks are dry?

Depends on the hen. I would definitely try it, and I may even slip those eggs back under her if she's staying in one spot so she can finish the hatch, feel free to put a fence around her to keep her in one spot for a few days. Put food and water within easy reach. You don't want her going off too fast and leaving chicks behind.

Last edited:
Follow up question: We are now up to two chicks in the incubator. One will be too wet to move out there tonight.

What are my best odds for success: Moving the dry one out tonight and the wet one out tomorrow night? Or both at the same time (tomorrow night?)?

Follow up question: We are now up to two chicks in the incubator. One will be too wet to move out there tonight.

What are my best odds for success: Moving the dry one out tonight and the wet one out tomorrow night? Or both at the same time (tomorrow night?)?
Is it cold? Generally chicks are wet under the hen too and dry fine. I would move both for best success.

My notifications were turned off and I missed oldhenlikesdogs reply! I just moved both chicks to the hen. I distracted her front while I plopped the chicks behind her. She accepted them immediately, clucking and opening a wing for them to get under her. I'll check on things before I go to bed, but is there any reason to be concerned she will reject them once she invites them under her?

Sounds like a good mom if she took them in. I would check on her in the am, but sounds like a good outcome hopefully.

Back
Top Bottom