Question about broody geese

Friend2Fowl

Songster
9 Years
Feb 28, 2010
Hi there, I have a young american goose that just started laying about a week ago. I doubt her eggs are fertile, since the only other goose on the place is about 8 months old. Although he is a boy, he is in love with a wagon, and not quite sure yet that he is a male.
roll.png

Anyway, the goose has been laying eggs in the same spot every time, 5 eggs so far. As I said, I doubt her eggs are fertile, but I have other eggs that will be coming soon. I have been gathering her eggs everytime she lays.

My question is, should I just leave the eggs in her nest, to try to get her to go broody? I would really like for her to sit some of the eggs I'm getting if possible. How long/how many eggs should she lay before she does go broody?

Thanks to any who can help
smile.png

goosedragon

Songster
10 Years
Mar 28, 2009
Central NC
Quote:
Don't hold your breath:D It varies too much from goose to goose for anyone to predict. They are more likely to go broody on a full nest. and with geese you can SOMETIMES get aome advance notice (24-48 hrs) if you see them lining their nests with feathers plucked from their own 'brooding area'

Top Bottom