Question about broody hen---probably been asked before.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by drdoolittle, Aug 19, 2010.

1. drdoolittle

drdoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    I have 3 broody hens sitting on eggs----one since last week, and the other 2 since Monday. My question is this: Is it o.k. to remove one of the eggs and candle it, or will it upset the hen too much and cause her to leave the nest? I was just curious as to whether or not the eggs are fertile.

2. drdoolittle

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    6. No Spam. Spamming is posting the same thing several times. "Bumping" (posting to move a thread up on the forum list) and cross-posting (posting the same thread in several forums) are examples of spam.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2010
  3. drdoolittle

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    6. No Spam. Spamming is posting the same thing several times. "Bumping" (posting to move a thread up on the forum list) and cross-posting (posting the same thread in several forums) are examples of spam.
    Quote:

4. drdoolittle

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    Quote:

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    If a hen is really broody you can remove all the eggs and she will continue to sit on the nest. Removing one or all to candle will not hurt a thing. I'd suggest you do it at night, both since it is easier to candle in the dark and she will not notice the disturbance as much.

6. afishel

afishel Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Spencer, Ind
    I candle my eggs from my broody girl she doesnt like it too much but...I lay them down in front of her when im done and she rolls they back under herself!
    I do the candleing right in front of her I do not take eggs away.

7. drdoolittle

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    Thank you both for answering!! I'll try it tonight!

8. bigstack

bigstack Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Texarkana, TX
    One of my JG's has gone broody! They are not supposed to be broody!!! But I noticed her in the same nest for 3 days. I felt so bad last night I took 1 egg marked it and replaced it in the nest box infront of her. She instantly moved it back under her breast. She HATES being bothered! LOL I really got a hissss and the full ruffle! LOL it was so cute! I figure if she loses intrest in the nest that I will only lose 1 instead of a bunch!

Good Luck and God Bless!

Last edited: Aug 19, 2010
  9. drdoolittle

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    Thanks. Mine are doing the fluffing up and funny noises, too. I even got a peck from one this morning when my hand got too close!

10. chickenlady08

chickenlady08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2009
    Eastern Shore, VA
    Quote:I have 4 WJG and 3 have gone broody this year. One of them has done it twice. April and June. She is very persistant.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by