Question about broody hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cbader, Sep 21, 2009.

1. cbader

cbader Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2009
    I am new to raising chickens and this is the first time I have had a broody hen. Not sure why she picked this time of year to sit but she has.

I wasn't sure if she was broody or not but now I know as she has not left the nesting box for three days.

My question - she has been sitting for three days now on two eggs that are not fertile. If I order some fertile eggs and put them under her will she sit long enough for them to hatch?

Any response is greatly appreciated.

Calvin
    Salem, Indiana

2. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Yes, most likely she will. [​IMG] But she can just as easily be broken out of her broody spell by placing her in a pen or cage without a nest for a few days.

3. nelli21

nelli21 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 14, 2009
    I had a broody hen who was broody for about 3 weeks- I kept collecting eggs. Then I decided to get some fertile eggs and got 5. She broke 2 right away, and then 2 more about 2-3 days before they were due to hatch. The last one survived and hatched, and is now 8 1/2 weeks old. She is just now starting to want to rejoin the flock.

I am having a little adjustment issues with it- the mom is attacking one of the other hens (?) and I saw one of the flock trying to mount the mom. Seems like they are trying to reestablish the pecking order. And the poor baby was having a rough time of it. We'll see how it goes.

I guess what I am trying to say is- it's fun to hatch out a chick, but there are other issues that pop up.

Are you thinking of getting some fertile eggs?
    Nelli

4. cbader

cbader Out Of The Brooder

Jul 29, 2009
    Yes, we are planning on finding some fertile eggs and see what happens. I think it will be a good learning experience for us. Will keep everyone updated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by